Friday, February 14, 2014

Tomato and Tortellini Soup

This is seriously one of the easiest recipes I've ever made, ya'll.  I'm not quite on the 'pick everything from the earth, dust it off and eat it' band wagon.  I still used canned items in my cooking, and it doesn't make me a terrible person.  It makes me sensible (in my opinion).  I believe in using fresh ingredients as often as I can and every once in awhile using some pre-made items.  I don't think me or my family will die from that.  My life is about balance and moderation.  I just can't quite veer off to the extreme side of cooking yet - I'm just not ready to make that change (kudos to those that do).  And I'm not sure I ever will.  I love goldfish crackers too much.  I can't help it.  Anyway, this is super easy recipe if you aren't offended by canned stewed tomatoes and pre-made tortellini.  Here it is!

Here's what's in it:
1 pkg sausage and cheese tortellini (I use Bertolli's brand)
3 cans of stewed or diced tomatoes (DON'T drain.  You can use plain tomatoes, but I like the Italian-style or the garlic and onion)
1/2 cup half n half
2 cups chicken or beef broth
1 tsp Italian seasoning
Dash of sea salt
Parmesan cheese

Optional Throw-ins:
Throw in about a tbsp of pre-made or homemade pesto - talk about some added flavor!
Fresh basil can add a serious depth to the sauce that you won't regret.
Use different types of tortellini, ravioli or just plain pasta for a vegetarian dish.
Add some sauteed veggies!  Veggies make everything better...kinda like bacon...oooooh...add some bacon too! :-)

Here's how to make it:
In a medium to large size saucepan, empty your 3 cans of tomato.  You will need a hand stick mixer for this next part, don't be scared, ok?  You basically want your tomatoes to be pureed completely except for a few surprise chunks.  Once pureed, add in your half n half, broth, Italian Seasoning and salt to taste.  Now turn your heat on to med/high so you can bring the tomatoes to a boil.  Once things are bubbly, add in the tortellini, cook for another 8-10 minutes and you are DONE.  How easy was that?  Have fun chowing down.  This is great served with a fresh loaf of Italian bread...served by an Italian man in an apron...or an Irish man in a kilt...whatever floats your boat.  (My boat stays afloat by an Irish man named Justin, my Highland Warrior.  So I'm going with that...)




No comments:

Post a Comment