Thursday, August 14, 2014

Mairen Rose Turns 1!

I know, I know.  It's August and Mairen Rose turned One in April.  Terrible I know.  But, better late than never and I need to document this stuff, so here goes.

We don't do crazy, over-the-top, hyper expensive, invite everyone-under-the-sun, grand FIRST birthdays.  Why?  Because they won't remember it and let's face it.  You are going to spend each year after their first birthday trying to 'out do' the last one, so my theory is: If I can start off at year 2, I have an extra year in the bank!  We did a small family gathering and had a Rose themed party!  It was great fun to plan because I just LOVE planning parties - always have.  Even (get this) BEFORE Pinterest!  Ya know, when you had an awesome idea and could actually say it was YOUR idea...because as far as you know it was?  There is some sense of accomplishment in that and quite frankly Pinterest has taken that away from all us creative juicing craftinistas.  I dare you to make up a craft or do something that you don't do a search on Pinterest for, first.  I dare you! :-)  Pinterest is greatness, it's just that sometimes it would be nice to be able to take the credit for a fabulous idea, that's all.

The decor was so much fun to make.  I made a fabric garland with vintage rose fabric and lace and a Happy Birthday banner made from scalloped large hole punched floral paper.  I attached the banner letters to the garland using small clothes pins with tiny paper roses of all colors hot glued to the top.  I had also taken monthly pics and hung those using the clothes pins on a piece of iron art above the fireplace.  I used mason jars wrapped with burlap and lace for floral pink rose centerpieces and made chalkboard signs for the food.  My favorite was making her cake and the topper for the cake.  I bought a $1 white picket fence from Hobby Lobby and made a tiny bunting to hang across it!  Agh - I love making things that are tiny that are supposed to be big!  Then I framed the words "Happy Birthday Mairen" in a tiny coral/pink frame and stuck that on top of the cake too.  Just what I was envisioning.  I also used a fabulous cream rose fabric that I used for a tablecloth to tie in the Rose theme.

Food was minimalistic because it was just family, but that doesn't mean it wasn't completely delicious.  I made some yummy raspberry lemonade and tea, La Madeleine pasta salad, ham and swiss hot sandwiches, some chips, lemon tea cakes, roasted candied pecans and Hummingbird birthday cake.  Everyone had a wonderful time and the birthday girl loved her cake!  Here are pics from our special day with family - we were a little sad that some family couldn't make it, but we had a fun time with grandparents!



















Professional 1 Year Pics:  I love you sweet girl!







Pictures taken by: Amanda Dorris Photography


No comments:

Post a Comment