Monday, January 20, 2014

Lazy Lasagna

Lazy Lasagna
Are you too busy for a 5 course Italian meal?  I know I am...and if I'm being honest I'd rather be in my dining room than in a snooty Italian restaurant (unless maybe someone else is paying for it).  Ya know, the kind where the server keeps putting tea in your glass right after you've made it the perfect sweetness or if you drop the tiniest crumb on the crisp white table cloth - there they are...with their crumb catcher to get it out of your way.  Like the crumbs are going to form an army and attack my elbows for being improperly propped on the fancy table.  No thanks.  Those things make me have anxiety.  So, if you are afraid of tightly wound waiters but want some crazy good lasagna - here's your fix!  I modified this recipe from a book that I got with some super expensive pots and pans that my husband and I bought.  It's a great recipe, but I can never leave a recipe alone.  I tend to put a dash of this and that in everything I make to see what can make it tastier. :-)  Anyway, this is one that I make often and is always salivatingly good.  It's even the better the next day after the flavors sit in the fridge and love on each other.  Pair it with a nice spinach salad and some decadent freshly baked french bread and you will have yourself a delish meal without the anxiety of an uptight restaurant, not to mention a happy husband and family.  I call it 'lazy' only because it's so easy you could make it on one of your laziest days and not break a sweat.  Keep those yoga pants on though - you'll want seconds of this yumminess!

What's in it:
1lb. ground beef or ground turkey or any type of italian sausage (mild or hot - whatever floats your boat)
1 pkg zesty italian dressing mix
1 lg jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
24 oz container of 2% cottage cheese
shredded mozzerella (~3 cups)
grated, shredded or shaved parmesan cheese (~1/2 cup)
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
fresh cracked pepper
1 pkg ready to bake (no boiling necessary) lasagna noodles - this is what you call lazy noodles :)

Optional throw-in's (pick one, two or none):
8 oz freshly sautéed sliced mushrooms in 1-2 tbsp butter
1 zucchini chopped into quarters, then sautéed in 1-2 tbsp butter
1 lg bag fresh spinach, sautéed in 1-2 tbsp butter and 1 chopped garlic clove
Marzetti fire roasted red bell peppers - chop up about a 1/2 cup and throw into sauce
1 tbsp pesto for extra richness

All throw-ins will go into the sauce when you make it.  I typically look in my fridge for anything that may need to be cooked soon that I haven't had a use for (or maybe had extra of) during my weekly meals.

How it's done:
Preheat oven to 400.  Brown your meat on medium heat in a large pan until cooked through.  Add in the package of zesty italian dressing mix and stir until the meat is coated thoroughly.  Pop open the jar of sauce and pour it over the meat.  At this point you can toss in your throw-ins (if you chose to make any).  Mix everything together well.  In a large mixing bowl, pour your cottage cheese, chopped basil, handful (about 1/2 cup) of mozzarella, 1/4 cup parmesan and a few twists of some fresh cracked pepper.  Mix together well and breath in the aroma.  Smells good, huh?  Take a 13x9 casserole dish and pour half of your meat sauce mix into the bottom of the pan, spread it out good and evenly.  This is the layering part.  Next, layer your noodles as many as can fit side by side, then break a few for the top and bottom.  Then spread on half of your cheese mix, then sprinkle another cup of mozzarella on top of the cheese for good measure.  Repeat the layer: Meat, Noodles, Cheese, More Cheese.  YUMMM.  On the very top you can add in the rest of the parmesan cheese.  I never said this dish was hip friendly, I said it was lazy, remember? :-)  Pop this baby in the oven for about 45 minutes or until the top is nicely browned and bubbly with tasty, cheesy, goody.  You may or may not use all the cheese mentioned in the listed ingredients, I usually eyeball my measurements so just do what feels good for your tastebud karma.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment