Thursday, April 4, 2013

Lactogenic Granola Bar Recipe



I had a rough time with breastfeeding with my first child, Declan.  I'm about to pop with baby #2 and decided that this time I was going to be knowledgable about all the 'galactagogues' or foods  and herbs that can help with milk supply (fancy word, I know).  I bought a book called Mother Food by Hilary Jacobson, which is where I got the list of yummy ingredients that promote milk supply.  I made up the recipe...because that's the way I roll.  It is chock FULL of yummy ingredients and these puppies are relatively easy to make.  If you had a hard time breastfeeding you know more than anyone, that you will try ANYTHING to get your milk supply up (aside from purchasing mammary tissue from the black market).  So, why not make these yummy treats?  I'll keep you posted on whether or not they actually help me this time around, but either way, I'll know that I'm nourishing my body with healthy food and those foods are feeding my baby, so whether the bars work or not is really besides the point - but if they DO...heck, I'll be feeding them to my hubby and hooking him up to the breast pump!  LOL!  Enjoy!



Lactogenic Granola Bars

½ cup almond butter (unsalted)
2 tbsp. raw organic honey
1 tbsp. organic pressed flaxseed oil
1 whole mashed banana (used as a binder; if you notice bananas decrease your milk supply you may use applesauce or black strap molasses in place of the banana - ~1/4 cup)
1 tbsp. malt powder (optional)
½ tsp. kosher/sea salt
½ tsp. cinnamon
2 tbsp. raw organic sunflower seeds
2 tbsp. raw organic pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp. organic chia seeds
¼ cup raw finely chopped cashews (can substitute pecans, almonds or macadamia nuts)
¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 cup rolled organic oats
½ cup dried chopped figs or dates
½ cup dried chopped apricots



Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix the first 7 ingredients together in a large mixing bowl to combine; add everything else to the bowl and be sure that all the dry ingredients are coated well.  Line a small baking pan (smaller than 9x13 if you have it)` with parchment paper and pour mixture over parchment paper, pressing to ½ inch thickness.  Bake for 15-20 minutes until edges are browned.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then cut into approx. 12, 1x3 inch bars.  Wrap individually or keep in a Ziploc with parchment or wax paper between layers.  Keep refrigerated or freeze in batches! 

No comments:

Post a Comment